I am a board game fanatic and I try to convert everyone to play more board games. I have another list here of top ten board games to get this holiday. I pretty much always buy Carcassonne as my “standard ” birthday and Christmas gifts for kids and families. It is easily understood, rules aren’t complicated and is enjoyed by both kids
and adults. Its also a good gift under 30.00. I love giving board games because they have great play value. They won’t be a toys that is played with for 3 days then ignored.
Best Board games For Families
This list is meant to complement classic board games like Monopoly and Scrabble and suggestion for
trying something new. You probably find these games in big box stores like Toys R Us but smaller toys stores and hobby shops stock them You can also find online on Amazon, Chapters , etc.
What are the Best Board Games for Families?
These games are very popular in the homeschool community and are EXCELLENT. You will not be disappointed. I go to a monthly board game night and the list of games below are the most popular. You are good to buy any one of these. The board games listed are in no particular order- they are all good.
Top Ten Board Games to Get and Give for Christmas
1. If you don’t all ready have this game it is fantastic. We started playing with the kids when they are around 8, and then just play with the card face up.The Settlers of Catan – New 4th Edition What’s new about it is board pieces “interlock”
2. This game you can play with younger kids ( 6-ish) and no reading is required. I love this game and it is less intense than Settlers of Catan so you can chat while you play without getting “lost”.Carcassonne I also recommend you get Carcassonne: Traders and Builders add-on to go with it.
3. Ticket to Ride – Europe I started playing Ticket to Ride a couple of years ago and love it. It is pretty competitive. The purist like this version and most popular but we have the Ticket to Ride USA and like it just fine :-). It is a good way to help visualize cities distance and relationships to each other.
4. Puerto Rico The most critically acclaimed board game of the last twenty years. You own a plantation and grow different crops. good from about 10 years old +
5. The Princes of Florence You are part of the Renaissance elite and choose whoch artist to back.
6. Blokus Strategy Board Game This is a game for 2-4 players and is great! No reading required and even younger ones can join in.
7. Agricola is FUN. , In it you are a farmer living in a wooden shack. Turns involve collecting clay, wood, or stone or building fences, etc. The game takes about 1 1/2 hours to play.
8. Mayfair Games Hey That’s My Fish is great if you have younger children that want to play. The box says for 8 year+ but we have played with 6 years with no trouble. it rare to find games that are appealing to different age levels ad hold interest- but this is one of them. You are a penguin gobbling up fish, Rules are pretty easy to understand and game takes about 30 mins. to play.
9. Rio Grande’s Zooloretto Each player uses small, large, wild and exotic animals and their young to try and attract as many visitors as possible to their zoo. This does not require reading and fun for kids around 6 years and up. The rules are easy to understand and this is a good family game.
10. Bohnanza Game This great is card game but putting here anyway.. It planting, trading, and selling beans and Players try to collect large sets of beans to sell for gold. ( Board game descriptions sound.. sort of silly.. I know) This game is good for 8 year and up , no reading required and takes about 45 minutes to play. I am also going to recommend another game that uses cards, SET Game. It about spotting “sets” based on colour, shape and number. No readin involbed and great to play while chatting in a group. I have seen kids as young 5 play.. .
Some duplicates here, – but this is a list of the most popular board games for 2007.